As you look to deepen relationships with your clients and visit their financial plans in the new year, a charitable giving plan can be a key component of an overall financial strategy. With the right tools and resources, you can help clients make the most of all that they’ve been given and potentially realize tax efficiencies. Here are four simple steps to help you get started.
1) Define giving goals.
Good plans start with goals. What do they want to achieve or express through their generosity? Consider these questions to help you get started. Do they want to:
- Include family or friends in giving or model generosity?
- Start now to see the impact?
- Keep loved ones’ inheritance intact?
- Support charities upon death?
- Potentially minimize taxes now or upon death?
- Increase retirement income?
2) Identify what giving option(s) may work best for your client.
Whether they’re contributing to an existing fund or creating a new charitable fund, there are several ways to make a gift to a charitable fund:
- Give Now: Utilize cash, publicly traded securities, real estate, or closely-held stock to make an immediate charitable gift.
- Give Later: Keep control of assets (such as beneficiary proceeds or life insurance) while living and make a significant gift upon death.
- Give & Receive: Make a charitable gift and receive ongoing income payments for life or a term of years. Plus, provide support to favorite charities and causes.
3) Determine how they would like their favorite charities and causes to utilize contributions.
Do they want to support an organization’s general operational expenses, or address a specific need? They can support their favorite causes or charities through a wide variety of charitable fund options. Whether they want to advise grants at a time of their choosing, designate charities for automatic annual grants, or support a specific cause or area of interest, you can help them match giving interests with any of these flexible fund options to create an impact in their communities.
4) Connect with Thrivent Charitable.
Thrivent Charitable has deep expertise in charitable options to fit your clients' goals and financial situation. With support from our team of charitable gift planners, you can rest assured charitable decisions will positively impact your client’s financial plan and reflect their values and goals.
Contact our team of gift planners to discuss unique solutions for your clients.