Disasters strain individual, family, community and societal resources. Recent events in our nation and our world have once again shined a light on the generosity of our donors during times when we’re needed most. Thrivent Charitable’s staff has curated a list of suggested organizations to help those hardest hit by Afghanistan’s humanitarian crisis and the natural disasters in the United States. Rather than a comprehensive list, this is simply here to inspire thought around support.
- Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service offers welcome and hope to more than half a million refugees. Since 1939, LIRS has transformed lives, with the support of people like you, to welcome the most vulnerable to the United States. Together we have supported, equipped and empowered these new Americans, while advocating for policy that protects all of God’s children.
- Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots civil society organization dedicated to protecting and promoting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and New York. In particular, WAW works to help Afghan women and girls exercise their rights to pursue their individual potential to self-determination and representation in all areas of life—political, social, cultural, and economic. WAW relentlessly advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence to influence attitudes and bring about change.
- International Media Support in partnership with the Afghan Journalists Safety Committee is collecting donations to protect journalists still in Afghanistan.
Hurricane Ida in Louisiana
- SBP originally known as the St. Bernard Project, was founded in 2006 by a couple in St. Bernard Parish who were frustrated by the slow response after Hurricane Katrina. SBP focuses on restoring damaged homes and businesses and supporting recovery policies.
- Second Harvest Food Bank, Feeding South Louisiana has prepared more than 3,500 disaster-readiness food boxes with items like rehydration drinks and nutrition bars, as well as bottled water. It also maintains cooking equipment that can be transported to heat prepared meals. Donations of bottled water and cleaning supplies are welcome.
Earthquake and Tropical Storm in Haiti
- Samaritan's Purse specializes in meeting critical needs for victims of conflict, disaster, famine, and epidemics throughout the world, often working through ministry partners on the ground. They provide food, water, shelter, medicine, and other assistance in the name of Jesus Christ.
- Lutheran World Relief is providing aid and help to families during the aftermath of natural disasters in Haiti.
Wildfires in Western States
- Red Cross has trained volunteers serving tens of thousands of meals and distributed thousands of relief items. They are also helping evacuees cope as they await news about their homes. The Red Cross is also providing financial assistance to families for replacement of clothes or food, offset transportation costs, or support any other immediate need.