What is a charitable gift annuity?
Through a charitable gift annuity, your client can give cash, publicly traded securities, or mutual funds that will help charities they care about. In turn, they receive a lifelong stream of income.
- Review the illustration and disclosure documents with your client.
- If your client wishes to proceed and establish a gift annuity, complete and return the gift annuity application, IRS Form W-9, and fund workbook.
Gifts of cash & stock
- If the client is giving cash, they may send the check at this time, made payable to Thrivent Charitable Impact & Investing.
- If the client wishes to give stock, include copies of either the stock certificates or the most recent brokerage statement showing the shares they wish to give. Thrivent Charitable will contact you with specific instructions on how to transfer the securities.
- If at any time you have questions, feel free to contact our charitable gift planners for assistance.
Immediate gift annuity
- Older clients (70+) who:
- Are fiscally conservative
- Seek additional income
- Already have a gift annuity
- Wish to give cash or appreciated stock
- Have stock and wish to receive ongoing income for long-term care or wealth insurance premiums
Deferred gift annuity
- Younger clients (50+) who want to:
- Receive a charitable tax-deduction now but have no need for additional income until retirement age
- Establish a supplemental retirement plan
- Give cash or appreciated stock
- Receive additional retirement income, even though they have maxed out qualified retirement plan contributions
- The annuitant(s) receive fixed payments for life (backed by the full faith and credit of Thrivent Charitable).
- The donor receives a charitable income tax deduction in the year of the gift.
- For gifts of cash, the annual charitable deduction limit is 60% (for gifts January 1, 2018, and thereafter) of the donor’s AGI.
- For gifts of long-term appreciated securities, the annual charitable deduction limit is 30% of the donor’s AGI.
- Unused charitable deductions may be carried over an additional five years.
- The donor bypasses a portion of capital gains on gifts of appreciated securities; a portion of the capital gain is recognized over the lifetime of the annuitant; and
- A portion of each gift annuity payment is may be tax-free.
Thrivent Charitable will support you with a full range of charitable products and services, and you'll be compensated for your efforts by Thrivent or American Funds.
Connect with us
We make the process easy
Our team of charitable gift planners utilizes deep charitable expertise to expand your clients' options and help meet their giving goals. Our collaborative approach will allow you to maintain your current client relationships while we provide the most relevant advice that aligns with your clients' financial priorities.
From left to right: Cindy Aegerter, Ben Boline, Nikki Johnson, Greg Shamey